Skip to main content

The Poetry of Running

The weather is starting to warm up and the snow is starting to melt in Anchorage! I went on a 4.5 mile run outside on Easter Sunday, it was absolutely beautiful. For the majority of the winter I have been working my lungs by using the treadmill. This particular run was pretty difficult and my lungs started to ache during the end, but I kept going because I knew that I was stronger than the pain.

One of my goals that I wrote down on my list was to run in a race called the 'Lost Lake Run' annually. It is a 16 mile trail/mountain run in beautiful Sweard, Alaska where the proceeds from registration and donations benefit Cystic Fibrosis. The first 7 miles are uphill, but the scenery is remarkable and filled with beauty. Last year I put together a team 'Team Sabrina Fights CF' and we raised $12,500 for this particular race. Lost Lake has been the most challenging and painful race that I have ever personally endured. The fight for CF motivates me to run and raise money so that a cure can be found!


Along the course there are half mile markers with faces of those affected with CF. When I ran past those mile markers, I felt empowered to keep going and I spent the whole 3 hours of the race thinking about CF and what I can do to help find a cure. Running in races and raising money for CF has become a passion for me and is something I want to continue to do. They are also an incentive for me to be a stronger person mentally and physically.

I have also been going to a bootcamp class once a week, it kicks my butt every Saturday morning. I try to do my own version of an at-home bootcamp once a week, which is a little more difficult because my two miniature dachshunds enjoy sitting on my back while I struggle to do one push up or give me 100 kisses a minute when I am trying to do a sit-up. I have always used running as a form of airway clearance and thought I didn't need to incorporate any other types of exercise. I was very wrong! Running is essential for my lungs, but it is so important to work other muscles. I did not realize how poor my upper body strength was until I started my bootcamp class and am amazed with how much it has improved.

My two goals for this year's Lost Lake Run are to beat my time from last year (3 hours 8 minutes) and to raise the same amount of donations or more for this race. That means I need to raise at least $12,500 for this race. I am determined to do this! I am ready to start my training and to continue to win a war with my lungs against CF.

http://www.lostlakerun.org/Fundraisers/SabrinaFightsCF.htm

I wanted to end my blog with a poem that I wrote in a poetry class I took in college 4 years ago.  I have always enjoyed poetry and hope to continue to write and share it with you.


Cold Fight
 Stale bruises layer a warriors soul
Photographs of existence display pale formations of cobweb scars
A corset wrapped chest
 Crackles as whispers of breath roar in my mind
Courage is inhaled
through a mind threaded with desire
Fear collapses on the ebony shaded wings of spirits








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little About Me And My Life Challenges

My name is Sabrina Smith Walker, I have Cystic Fibrosis and I am a cancer survivor. Here is a snippet about my life: I am 26 years old, and was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. I still reside in Anchorage with my husband, Adam, and our two miniature dachshunds, Oscar and Lola. My friend, Whitney, made this for me when I was in the hospital a few years ago. I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at the age of 4. I was not diagnosed at birth because I am a quarter Tlingit Indian and it is very rare for someone that is Alaska Native/ Native American to have Cystic Fibrosis. I was told that I would not live past the age of 8, luckily that wasn't true! When I was 18 years old, I was constantly getting lower back pain and whenever I bent over or sat down I would feel shooting pains that would travel down to my feet. I eventually found out that I had a tumor on my spine that was cancerous. I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. While all my friends embarked on their new life

One Year Around the Sun

My last post was in October 2014 and at that point in my life I was waiting for our precious baby to be born. Our lives were going to change in one moment and we were anxiously awaiting for that time to come. Little did we know that the moment we were waiting for would start with me waking Adam up early Monday morning (March 16, 2015) because I had either wet the bed two times or my water had broken. Eight hours later our lives changed forever as we transitioned into the wonderful world of parenthood. Our beautiful baby boy, Leo Jordan Walker, was born on March 16, 2015. The moment I laid eyes on Leo my body immediately filled with a love and happiness that took over my mind, heart and soul. He is our miracle. If I ever have a moment of feeling down and out, it takes one second to come to reality and realize that I am beyond blessed. I have heard Adam say, "Having a baby is the biggest job that we will ever have in our lives and it doesn't even come with an inst

Little Moments in the Big Canyon

My son started preschool back in August and one of the many amazing aspects of his school is that it is located in the middle of a beautiful canyon in San Francisco. When he first started school I thought the 10-15 minute walk in and out of the canyon with a toddler was going to be tiresome. The months have passed and I have learned to love this time with Leo. There are days we are in a hurry and I get impatient because we will be late to school. Sometimes he falls and we have to stop until the tears subside.And he almost always stops at every moment to admire a bug or bird.  What I once thought would be a grueling commute has turned into something I cherish and look forward to. For about 10-15 minutes of my day I get to hold hands with my son and we have each others undivided attention (aside from the critters along the way and nervous skunks 😷). It is amazing to me that our perception can change our outlook on life. I once thought a a quick and fast preschool drop-off would b