Skip to main content

Motivation for Life

Every person on this earth has struggles and feats that they must face and try to stand up to. Our lives are shaken about and what happens next is really the luck of the draw. There are days filled with happiness and bliss, days with anger and hatred and there are days filled with pain or sadness.  Strenuous days leave people feeling defeated and broken down.

Lately, I have been reading threads, blogs and discussions of others with Cystic Fibrosis who are outreaching for support. Some are heartbreaking encounters from families who are dealing with loss of a loved one with CF, there are others searching for guidance to cope with their life and there are prayer requests for loved ones in need of encouragement and a miracle. I may not need a lung transplant at this point in my life, but I understand the feeling of anguish and helplessness. I do not take my health for granted, but I also know from experience that this life can be tough.

When I was 19 years old I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma on my spine.  My doctors told me there was a chance that I would never be able to run again due to the size and location of the tumor.  At one point while undergoing chemotherapy treatments in the hospital I came down with pneumonia.  It was hard not to feel anything but complete hopelessness.  I felt as if I was walking through a desolate desert, searching for the reigns of hope. 



People endure a lifetime of battles and everyones story of conflict is different.  I have grappled with more than the average person should in a whole lifetime in my first 18 years of life. As I have been learning about others with CF I have become aware of the true warriors who fight the daily battle of Cystic Fibrosis. I wanted to recognize how strong and enduring these CF'ers are. Every day they step into their mighty boots and deal with the weight of the day.



I wanted to remind those with and without CF that this life is an extraordinary and magical journey. Every single day has a challenge attached to it, but we must try and do all that we can to surpass those challenges. Every day ask yourself what you can do for yourself. We must take care of ourselves before we can even think about taking care of others. If we are haphazardly invested in our own well being how much good can we do for the people in our lives we care about?  For those with CF it is so essential that we are compliant with our treatments, and to kick CF's butt even more do something that gets the oxygen flowing through your lungs. I guarantee the more you push your lungs the better your pulmonary function test (PFT) will be.

On top of compliance, I am asking for you to push yourselves a little harder every day. Go for a walk, run, lift weights or attend a workout class. I promise that pushing your lungs with exercise will be beneficial to your health. Exercise is not easy, and I know that I am not the strongest athlete or fastest runner. I do know that my health and lungs thrive when I am working them. I definitely struggle but my will to survive keeps me going.

I want to inspire you to never give up and to do all that you can to be a stronger and healthier you. Please don't quit or feel helpless when times are difficult, push past the fear and fight it.

 
Thank you for reading my blog :)
 
Sabrina
 
 


Comments

  1. Sabrina, you are such a great writter and I enjoyed reading every bit of this. You put such a positive spin on life. I have seen so many in our community struggling lately and I want to share with them that its life and what you make of it. Enjoy every single day and live life to the fullest every day.

    I am so glad I found you on blogger :) You are a great inspiration to me and all of us in this community.

    I am looking forward to more posts Sabrina!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little About Me And My Life Challenges

My name is Sabrina Smith Walker, I have Cystic Fibrosis and I am a cancer survivor. Here is a snippet about my life: I am 26 years old, and was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. I still reside in Anchorage with my husband, Adam, and our two miniature dachshunds, Oscar and Lola. My friend, Whitney, made this for me when I was in the hospital a few years ago. I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at the age of 4. I was not diagnosed at birth because I am a quarter Tlingit Indian and it is very rare for someone that is Alaska Native/ Native American to have Cystic Fibrosis. I was told that I would not live past the age of 8, luckily that wasn't true! When I was 18 years old, I was constantly getting lower back pain and whenever I bent over or sat down I would feel shooting pains that would travel down to my feet. I eventually found out that I had a tumor on my spine that was cancerous. I had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. While all my friends embarked on their new life

One Year Around the Sun

My last post was in October 2014 and at that point in my life I was waiting for our precious baby to be born. Our lives were going to change in one moment and we were anxiously awaiting for that time to come. Little did we know that the moment we were waiting for would start with me waking Adam up early Monday morning (March 16, 2015) because I had either wet the bed two times or my water had broken. Eight hours later our lives changed forever as we transitioned into the wonderful world of parenthood. Our beautiful baby boy, Leo Jordan Walker, was born on March 16, 2015. The moment I laid eyes on Leo my body immediately filled with a love and happiness that took over my mind, heart and soul. He is our miracle. If I ever have a moment of feeling down and out, it takes one second to come to reality and realize that I am beyond blessed. I have heard Adam say, "Having a baby is the biggest job that we will ever have in our lives and it doesn't even come with an inst

Little Moments in the Big Canyon

My son started preschool back in August and one of the many amazing aspects of his school is that it is located in the middle of a beautiful canyon in San Francisco. When he first started school I thought the 10-15 minute walk in and out of the canyon with a toddler was going to be tiresome. The months have passed and I have learned to love this time with Leo. There are days we are in a hurry and I get impatient because we will be late to school. Sometimes he falls and we have to stop until the tears subside.And he almost always stops at every moment to admire a bug or bird.  What I once thought would be a grueling commute has turned into something I cherish and look forward to. For about 10-15 minutes of my day I get to hold hands with my son and we have each others undivided attention (aside from the critters along the way and nervous skunks 😷). It is amazing to me that our perception can change our outlook on life. I once thought a a quick and fast preschool drop-off would b